Monday 22 October 2012

To gain the world (2)...


Sometimes in order to stand out we have to be willing to stand alone. 

Many of us including myself are afraid to live an “isolated life” if that’s what it will take in order to stand out. Psalm 24:1 tells us that we don’t belong to ourselves: “the Earth is the Lords and everything in it” So technically we should be willing to give back what is not ours.

The greatest story of sacrifice is that of Jesus laying down His life for us. A sacrifice usually costs something; there may be a price to pay. We stand out to be given out, we stand out to be given out. The keyword in the definition of this word sacrifice is the word “offering”, the offering of something (e.g. money, animals, yourself), usually to a greater cause or a “higher being”, in our case: to GOD.

Let’s look at the story if Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in Daniel 3:

The King wanted them to bow to the idol he had created. What in our lives can be, or are, idols? (E.g. Food, TV, internet, music, friends, even phones – how many of us can honestly survive without their phones for 3days?)

The devil has sly and cunning ways of creating “idols” in our lives that can distract us and cause us to lose that special touch on our relationship with Christ. This is similar to these three lads, I mean all they really had to do was bow right, why must they be the only ones to remain standing, when everyone else was bowing? Plus their lives were on the line, if they didn’t bow they would be killed.

Besides when they got back home or went back to church on the following Sunday they could have jumped back on the “hosanna train” and reasoned with God “ah God man, You understand right? We didn’t wanna be seen as the crazy Christian dudes that never get involved with anything”

They refused. They wouldn’t compromise. Part of standing out is the willingness not to compromise, because of the fear of what others will say, think or do. (This counts especially when you make a stand out against something that you’ve been so used to doing). 

Sometimes we have to get to a point of saying “I’m going to do/not going to do ‘xyz’” regardless of what “they” may think – who are “they” anyway - let me put it this way, if your friends cannot respect your decision for or against certain things you decide on, then they never really were your friend in the first place, and it’s probably best to let them go! Say “buh-bye”

Standing out for a greater cause doesn’t automatically mean that life will become smooth sailing, as these gentlemen soon found out. The king ordered that the fire in the furnace was heated 7times hotter than its normal temperature.

When the devil notices that you aren’t falling prey to his trap, or aren’t really intimidated by him; when he notices that you are still gonna stay on the Lord’s side regardless, then believe me he will turn up the heat in order to try and make you crack under pressure!

I’ll give a personal example, whenever my relationship with God seems to be going well, a situation tends to arise where I may have to make a decision about something – “do I not do it and please God, or do I do it and sort it out with God later” – say I decide not to do it on this occasion, and please God in this matter, it’s like at that precise moment the devil says “eeehhhh, okaaay, we shall see”, he plays with my emotions, my peace, my work – sometimes I find no motivation to work, or I really struggle with understanding something, then I become really down about it and isolate myself, or just wanna sleep 24/7 to forget about the fact that I have work I cannot handle, I get further behind and if I don’t manage to catch up I might stress at the last minute – but God always steps in just at the right time! And although there is a lot about God’s timing that I personally do not understand, what I do know is that it is always on-time (although it actually may not seem that way!)

So back to the story – the guys got thrown into the fire, expecting to die an instant death, but did not get hurt – God stepped in at just the right time, their willingness to sacrifice caused them to stand out, and in the end they won the respect of the king, plus got promoted! Those people that want to see you trip and fall will not see you go to ruin, they will respect you and promote you in Jesus name!

John 15 vs 18 & 19  “If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first. The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.

It's time to say "haters move back, I'm on the Lord's side!"

No comments:

Post a Comment