Sunday 28 October 2012

If memory serves


I remember being young and in Sunday school learning songs, and reciting bible verses! At first it seemed like a drag, excess work and I didn’t really understand why we were being made to learn them... Trust me I do now! 

There are certain scripture verses I remember only because of those songs! 

As I grew older, although I still read the bible, I stopped learning the verses. I could say the “common” scripture verses when required, and get all excited, but I wanted it to go deeper than “public displays”, I wanted a “secret reality”. 

The bible is full of so much sense and wisdom, words to encourage and bring hope in those desperate times. But we must realise that we won’t know what keys to life it contains if we don’t take the time to study AND memorise. And yes it is the same type of studying that we would do in order to pass a momentary exam?! Wouldn't you want to know what can be done in order to get through this test we call life? 

In Psalm 119:9&11 King David writes: “How can a young person stay pure? By living according to Your word. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” (this purity extends further than just sex, its purity of mind & action)

The word of God is God himself. It's Christ! Which means it's the source of life itself. It gives us a reality check and it’s our battle weapon – sharper than any double-edged sword (Hebrews 4:12) – even the devil knows scripture, and he proved so when he tried to tempt Jesus! (Matthew 4) If Jesus never knew scripture, he wouldn't have been able to dash satan back in his place and that would've been it for us! Eeekkk!?

This topic is more to bring awareness about the importance of the knowledge of God's word. Let me leave you with these two scripture verses:

1. Colossians 3:16a – "Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives."

2. James 1:23-25 - “Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and immediately forgets what they look like. BUT whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it – not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it – they will be blessed in what they do.”

*sings* "read your bible, pray everyday, pray everyday, prayer everyday...!"

No comments:

Post a Comment