Wednesday 17 October 2012

Against the current

Yesterday morning was very windy in my part of the globe. I mean, I’m aware that wind has the power to uproot trees and houses in extreme storms and tornados; however it never occurred to me how difficult it is to breathe and keep moving forward against such current, until I was caught in it!

From the comfort of my room, which happens to overlook the garden, I could hear and see that it was a windy day. It wasn’t until I left the house that I appreciated the intensity of the wind. Now at this moment in time you’re probably thinking “has this girl never experienced a windy day?” and don’t get me wrong, I have MANY times (I live in Great Britain, so believe me when I say I have). However this time was very different. Why? Because it almost took me out – I nearly got swept off my feet (and not the Walt-Disney’s-handsome-knight-in-shining-armour picture!). I’ve never had to work so hard to put one foot in front of the other, whilst maintaining balance and accelerating; a movement I believe we earthlings term as: walking. I simply struggled to do this!

I’m quite a transparent individual, so I’ll be honest and tell you that my experience with the wind yesterday is a true reflection of my life at this moment in time. I feel like I’m living life against the current- decisions, bills, deadlines, pressures - and I’m sure there are many others going through similar situations.

This blog will not tell you how to win the ‘battle against the winds’, because to be quite frank with you only God can help us to overcome them (Romans 8:37). What I will do is tell you these 3 things:

1. The sun still shines. Remember that the sun rises daily. The wind can blow and the rain can choose to join in, but there is always a ray of hope. We can almost guarantee that the sun will soon rise over the horizon of our situations. Reminding ourselves of our blessings (i.e. the things we find ourselves being favoured with) can shift our perspective. Last year I made a poster of all the things (I could think of at the time) that I am blessed with and stuck it on my wall. Over the summer I moved house and haven’t put it back up - perhaps it’s time to display it once again!

2. The plants can grow. In GCSE biology (that’s approximately 10/11th grade for all those outside of GB) we were taught about “wind pollination”. I’ll recap (in VERY basic terms) for those of us who slept in that class! *Pay attention class* Wind pollination is the process where pollen from the male plant is transferred by the wind to fertilise the female plant, so she can produce offspring. *Class dismissed lol*

The well known method of pollen transfer is through the busy bees that spot a scented flower, nose around inside, and jump to the next flower consequently taking some pollen along with it. However there are some plants that do not produce smells, therefore do not attract busy bees. In this case the wind is so vital in making sure that that species of plant lives on! Pollen is small and often hidden by the flower’s petals; in our own lives we have many ‘pollen grains’ of greatness. These include our (discrete and overt) characteristics, skills and talents. Many of them remain hidden because we perceive them as being ‘small’, many of them remain hidden because we are unaware we even contain such amazing potential. The wind of opposition often helps us to draw out & release the things we have within. Who knows if we would have ever discovered or developed a part of ourselves without the wind? (James 1:2-4)

3. Seasons change. (Ecclesiastes 3:1)This year summer was an average of 2weeks?! However prior to the effects of global warming we experienced an even amount of the 4 seasons: autumn, winter, spring & summer. We may not enjoy all seasons, but each season has its significance and each is as important as the other. The wind of my situation won’t blow forever, and neither will yours. Keep pushing against the current; it’s quite a good workout! Use it as an opportunity to develop your spiritual biceps and quads, because once the wind has settled you will have the strength to tackle what you once thought you were too weak too.      

Final words: It is important to stay protected; even cars have windscreens. Whether it’s raining or 30°C, if you NEED to go somewhere you’ll go – you’ll either take an umbrella or slap on some sun-screen. In the same way life MUST keep progressing so we need to let the Holy Spirit be the source of our protection in every season. Surround yourself with friends, form a support network, get a mentor, keep accountable to someone you deem as trustworthy! “Read your bible, pray everyday...” *Sings* This Sunday school classic has a more than valid point. God’s word is the light source of our journey (Psalm 119:105) and there is power in prayer!

Because our God is more than able, as His children we inherit His “able” gene (Genesis 1:27). We are able to move forward against the current.

No comments:

Post a Comment